Re: Serv-U dir listing

Rob Beckers ( rb5@acpub.duke.edu )
Thu, 1 May 1997 14:38:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, John Lange wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:03:51 -0500
> From: John Lange <ServuAdmin@palacenet.net>
> To: Serv-U@corridor.com
> Cc: ntisp@emerald.iea.com
> Subject: Serv-U dir listing
>
> HI All
>
> I'm new to this list, and am hopefull that someone out there will have some
> insight on these issues.
>
> I sent this primarily to the Serv-U List but someone at both places might know.
>

> 1. Is there a way to make Serv-U list multiple directories an multiple
> drives appear to be all subdirectories of the root for annonymous users?

You can use 'links' to do this. Please take a look at section 2.13 of the
manual for detailed information on how to do this (or
http://www.cat-soft.com/ManHow.htm#Links for the on-line version of the
manual).

> eg: 7 CD's in a CD Changer (obviously not all active at the sanme time).
> files stored on several different machines
> files on a Netware Server NOT running TCP/IP

Those CD's need to be mapped to different drive letters though..

> 2. With shareware CD's use the files.bbs file for DIR listing (or is there
> a program that will do this?)

The problem with that is the FTP protocol. The FTP specs in RFC959 do not
prescribe any particular format for dir listings, but just about all FTP
client programs only accept a certain layout, and the most common one for
this is the UNIX dir listing format. So, that's why Serv-U sends dir
listings over in that way. Changing it would break many FTP clients.

Some client software (CuteFTP for one) will look for a file named
00-INDEX.TXT and use that to augment the dir listing info with a
description. So, that might be one way to go.

> More questions to come I'm sure.
>
> Thanks in sdvance.
> Serv-U 2.2 - Qty 2 - Registered Copies
>
> ~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.
> John C. Lange, Sr. PALACE dot NET, INC.
> microjl@palacenet.net MICRO-TECH Computers!
> 608.742.1601 230 West Cook Street
> http://www.palacenet.net/ Portage, WI 53901